But I know when I’ll be back again (next Friday). I’m heading to Portland today for a week. This will be the first Thanksgiving I’ll celebrate on the west coast since 2001 and I’m really looking forward to it. I’m throwing up a quick and dirty Random Friday Ten. There will be no outward linking because I’m actually doing this a little after midnight and no one else is up yet.
1. I Love My Car, Belle and Sebastian (Push Barman to Open Old Wounds)
2. Any Day Now, Sam Cooke (Sam Cooke with the Soul Stirrers)
3. We Never Change, Coldplay (Parachutes)
4. National Steel, Kathleen Edwards (Failer)
5. Maggie Mae, The Beatles (Let It Be)
6. La Bayamesa, Buena Vista Social Club (Buena Vista Social Club)
7. Uptown Up, Maceo Parker (Funk Overload)
8. Illegal Smile, John Prine (Great Days: Anthology)
9. Expressway to Your Heart, Various Artists (Sounds of the Sixth Borough)
10. You’re Gonna Lose That Girl, The Beatles (Help!)
There’s lots of good stuff in this set. I particularly recommend John Prine, he’s always been one of my favorites. My friends in college would cringe when I’d go to play him, they couldn’t quite deal with his folky/country sounds in those days. I’m also tickles that two Beatles songs have shown up in the sets for the last two weeks. Kinda kooky.