As is my semi-regular habit, I’m eschewing a “real” post today, instead throwing my Friday Random Ten up here.
1. Forgiven, Alanis Morissette (Jagged Little Pill)
2. Raised on Robbery, Joni Mitchell (Hits, also on Court and Spark)
3. Meet Me by the Water, Rachael Yamagata (Happenstance)
4. Portland Showers, Folkrum (Some Antics)
5. Get it While You Can, Janis Joplin (18 Essential Songs)
6. Love’s Recovery, Indigo Girls (Indigo Girls)
7. Burn to Shine, Ben Harper (Burn to Shine)
8. Run Me Over and Let Me Bleed, Mare Walkfield Band (Factory)
9. Ne Me Quitte Pas, Nina Simone (Anthology, CD1)
10. Twice, Leo Kottke/Mike Gordon (Paste Magazine Sampler)
And the bonus track, because I love them…
11. You’re a Big Boy Now, Lovin’ Spoonful (Lovin’ Spoonful Anthology)
Would love to see live: Nina Simone (oops, too late)
Have seen live: Folk Rum, they’re a band out of Portland that my sister knows. In fact the drummer is her ex-boyfriend. I was at their CD release party last winter, because I happened to be in town and Raina was bartending that night. Their standard instrument line up includes a cello, which makes for beauty in music.
Favorite Album: Burn to Shine, gotta love that Ben Harper. My Uncle Bill was actually the one who gave Ben his first slide guitar, so I have this extra little fondness for him, by virtue of the family connection.
Favorite Song: Love’s Recovery
About the bonus track: My dad was a huge Spoonful fan (still is) and I grew up with their music. Sunday mornings my dad would break out the guitar and we’d rock out to “Jug Band Music.” Those were the days.