It’s Friday once more (being out sick two days in a row sure makes the week go fast) which means its time for another edition of the Friday Random Ten. The rules are simple, set your pod or digital music device a’shufflin’ and report back the first ten songs it spits out. You are not allowed to skip, omit or ignore songs as the shuffle gods are trying to bestow upon you some wisdom via the random nature of shuffle and it’s best to listen to them. You don’t want to anger the shuffle gods!
1. Meditation Mama, The Mamas and the Papas (The Papas and the Mamas)
2. Mobile Line, Jon B. Sebastian (King Biscuit Flower Hour)
3. The Lucky One, Alison Krauss and Union Station (Live Disc 1)
4. Wild Honey Pie, The Beatles (The White Album)
5. It Makes No Difference, The Band (The Last Waltz)
6. Seven Bridges Road, The Eages (Eagles Greatest Hits)
7. Illegal Smile, John Prine (Great Days: Anthology)
8. Dancing Shoes, Rachael Davis (Live in Bremen, Germany)
9. Cry, James Blunt (Back to Bedlam)
10. World on Fire, Sarah McLachlan (Afterglow)
Favorite Song: Seven Bridges Road. I’ve always loved the harmonies that the Eagles laid on their version.
Favorite Album: John Prine’s Great Days: Anthology is hands down one of my favorite collections of music on the planet. I’ve always been drawn to John Prine, for his simple folk/country music and his sharp, sometimes cutting lyrics. He’s an amazing musician and I’m happy that’s he’s on the planet.
Seen Live: Alison Krauss and Union Station (4+ years ago at the Keswick), John Prine (6 years ago at Oaks Park), Rachael Davis (2 years ago at the Sedgwick Cultural Center) and Sarah McLachlan (8 years ago at Lilith Fair and 2 years ago at the Spectrum).
Personal Connections: Seven Bridges Road was written by a guy named Steve Young. Steve Young used to live in Marin County, CA back in the 70’s and ran a music store. He also drove a Volkswagen, at the time when my dad was a Volkswagen mechanic, and so my dad used to work on his car. I realize that I may be stretching the connection just a bit, but so what.
If you need more Random Friday that I can give you, check out these folks: