It’s been some time since I’ve put up a set for Friday Random Ten, but I feel a little tug to do so today. For those of you who haven’t seen it before, the rules are simple. Just set your iPod or other digital music player a’shufflin’ and report back the first ten songs it spits out. The Random Friday gods can be fickle, so to ensure that you stay on their good side, make sure you don’t skip, omit, alter or in any other way shirk the pre-ordained order of the songs.
1. Sam Hall, Johnny Cash (American IV: The Man Comes Around)
2. Mary Magdelena, Raina Rose (Scratchwork 2006)
3. The Levee’s Gonna Break, Bob Dylan (Modern Times)
4. One by One, Billy Bragg & Wilco (Mermaid Avenue)
5. No Better, Jonatha Brooke & The Story (Plumb)
6. Kozmic Blues, Janis Joplin (18 Essential Songs)
7. Black Annis, Antje Duvekot (Little Peppermints)
8. Opened Once, Jeff Buckley (Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk)
9. Intro/The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil, Jefferson Airplane (Live at the Fillmore East)
10. Julia, The Beatles (The White Album)
Favorite Song: Julia by The Beatles. As I’ve mentioned in the past, I was a bit of a Beatles freak from the ages of 9 to about 13. Hearing their music is deeply nostalgic for me.
Favorite Album: Janis Joplin’s 18 Essential Songs. Nothing fits those moments are in equal parts longing and angry like Janis.
Seen Live: Antje Duvekot, Jonatha Brooke and my talented sister Raina Rose. This track is actually from her new album (which went to get mastered today), The Prophet, The Panhandler and The Moon. There’ll be an limited issue released on January 9th, with a larger production run to follow.